You can really clean house with this soup. Almost anything goes. As with the other vegetable only soups, onions are the most important ingredient. I’ve found that since I started adding potatoes my girls are much happier. It makes them not notice the kale, chard and other good stuff. I have to agree. I staggered the ingredients so they would all have the desired consistency. A lot depends on how big you cut the vegetables. And don’t worry about having all the ingredients–you can mix and match. Use what you have, use what you like. Kale and Chard should cook between 20 – 30 minutes.
– 4 Med-Lg Onions diced (4 cups)
– 2-4 teaspoons chopped Garlic
– 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
– 1 Tablespoon Salt
– 5 large Carrots large diced (2 Cups)
– 3-4 Celery Stalks – Cut small (2 Cups)
– 4 Medium Potatoes large pieces (3 Cups)
– 1/2 Head Cauliflower (3 Cups)
– 1/2 Small Bunch Kale – 1″ sq cut (2 Cups)
– 1/2 Small Bunch Chard – 1″ sq cut (2 Cups)
– 1 small head Broccoli (2 Cups)
– Shitake Mushrooms (1 Cup)
– 6 – 8 Cups Water (Enough to cover)
– In a large pot add onions, garlic and oil
– Cook with medium heat stirring occasionally. Be careful to not let the onions stick and burn.
– Cook until the onions are translucent.
– Add Mushrooms, Carrots, Celery and 1/2 the water.
– Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer aprox 20 minutes.
– Add Potatoes, make sure there is enough water to cover and simmer another 15 minutes
– Add Chard, Kale and Cauliflower, check the water and simmer another 15 minutes
– Finally add the broccoli and simmer 5-10 more minutes
– Season with salt and/or soy sauce to taste.
– Note If you want to do it more simply, you can add the potatoes, chard, kale and cauliflower all together. Try and wait with the broccoli as it cooks the fastest and is best served with a little bite.