Liquefied veggies are fine fertility foods. Aside from objections from some fertility acupuncturists who tell their patients to eliminate all cold beverages, most holistic infertility experts agree that juicing is good for you.
And as everything else, juicing could have a downside.
It is thanks to one of the newly pregnant Moms in our community, that I realized we could use a little review of juicing for fertility guidelines. Not all juices are created equal and yes, some combinations of fruits and vegetables might actually not be all that helpful.
On a recent calls, one of our ravishing Visionary Mamas shared that her daily juice boost was a spinach cucumber combo.
Unsurprisingly, when I asked if she enjoyed the taste, she said, No, not really.
But aside from what I imagine must be a less than appetizing taste, juicing a half glassful of spinach juice may not be best for the Mom or the developing fetus.
Spinach is a wonderful, nutrient dense vegetable with high levels of iron, carotenes, vitamin C, folic acid. But it’s also one of the vegetables highest in oxalic acid. When combined with calcium, oxalates (oxalic acids) produce calcium oxalate which is hard to assimilate and can form kidney stones.
A few quick juicing for fertility tips
I intend to expand on this post with more detailed information on why and how, but for now just a few quick juicing for fertility tips to avoid taxing the body.
- Include at least 4 or 5 a variety of veggies in your juice
- Rotate the green leafy vegetables, especially if you are using high oxalic greens such as spinach. Greens lower in oxalic acid are lettuce and arugula.
- You can add some green apple and lemon to counteract the bitterness of greens, but for the most part fruit will needlessly increase the sugar content of your juice. The relationship between impaired ovarian function and sugar is well documented.
- When trying to conceive, the thyroid is one of the key organs to keep in tip top shape Since many holistic experts recommend juicing pretty much everything (including goitrogenic foods such as brocoli, cauliflower, chard, etc) quite indiscriminately, many of my clients find themselves placing un-necessary stress on their thyroid. When choosing to juice goitrogenic vegetables, steaming them slightly will neutralize the goitrogenic effect.
- In addition to juicing, drink plenty of water during the day to support flushing out the kidneys.
Green Lemonade Cleansing Cocktail from The Fertile Female
2 celery stalks
6 or more dark green leaves of lettuce
1/2 cucumber with skin
1 green apple
Sip slowly. In the macrobiotic tradition celery and carrot are considered helpful with ovulation irregularities, so be creative, add some carrots, beets and remember to rotate, rotate, rotate your vegies
Your turn. Are you juicing? What’s your favorite combo?